Carbohydrate is an essential nutrient for a healthy pregnancy. It is used as a source of fuel for the body muscles and organs like the lungs, brain and the heart. Moreover this nutrient has the biggest impact on glucose levels.
Some of the other benefits of carbohydrates during pregnancy are listed below:
- Consuming nutritious carbohydrates can help you sustain a healthy weight throughout your pregnancy. It will not only maintain the blood sugar levels but will also help you avert the risk of obesity.
- Carbohydrate is a good source of energy and fibre. Including carbohydrates in your pregnancy diet plan will help regulate your bowel movements and prevent constipation.
- Carbohydrate provides you the much-required energy boost during pregnancy. They get readily broken down into simple sugars to supply energy to the body cells and the developing foetus.
- Some studies also suggest that carbs are useful in combating pregnancy symptoms like nausea and morning sickness. It uplifts your mood and helps you stay hale and heart.
Healthy carbs that can be included in your diet during pregnancy:
- Brown rice
- Wholegrain bread
- Sweet potatoes
- Sweet corn
- Vegetables like, spinach, broccoli, cauliflower asparagus, beetroot etc
- Beans like lima beans, red beans, chickpeas, kidney beans
- Wholegrain cereals
- Dairy products like milk
- Fruits like, banana, blueberry, grapefruit, apples etc
Although carbohydrates contribute to overall health and development, it is advisable to consider the quality and quantity of carbohydrates consumed during pregnancy. Hence ensure you visit your nearest doctor or dietician to get more tips and guide in order to stay healthy during pregnancy.
For a healthy diet plan during pregnancy, Kanupriya Khanna is here to guide you! A qualified dietician in Delhi, Kanupriya will not only offer you a personalised diet plan as per your requirement but will also help you inculcate healthy eating habits during your pregnancy.