While the world is trying to restart phase by phase, many health experts are looking for strategies to protect humans from the COVID-19 virus. Recent studies have suggested that we should consider taking vitamin D supplements to be able to fight the infection.
How researchers found a link between vitamin D levels and COVID-19:
- Researchers evaluated cases of COVID-19 and found that most patients who died had vitamin D levels below normal
- Studies showed that patients admitted to the ICU were vitamin D deficient, while those who were able to beat the infection effectively had normal levels.
- Moreover, it is a well-known fact that Vitamin D levels are severely low in the aging population. Experts are of the opinion this has been the reason why European countries saw higher COVID19 deaths – since they have the most elderly population.
Vitamin D to Boost Overall Health
Fat-soluble Vitamin D is considered a vital element for proper immune function. It not only increases the calcium absorption from your gut but also communicates with immune cells to regulate the body’s response to germs and bacteria. While its supplementation can’t protect you from contracting the disease, doctors/health experts suggest that maintaining a normal level can certainly give you the ability to fight it off.
How to Increase Your Vitamin D Levels
Vitamin D is also acknowledged as a sunshine vitamin since human bodies can easily make vitamin D from sun exposure. As per experts, 10 to 20 minutes of sun exposure daily between 10 am – 3 pm is usually enough to make adequate vitamin D. However, this process varies widely depending on the season, and geographic location.
You can also raise your Vitamin D levels through food. Include the following food items in your healthy diet plan. Rich in Vitamin D – these food items will help you fight the infection without much complexity.
- Fish, like tuna, mackerel, and salmon.
- Egg yolks
- Fortified foods like breakfast cereals, orange juice, soy milk, dairy products
All these items are easily available in the market. However, if you are wondering how to put all these to good use – contact your nutritionist or dietician. The nutritionist will not only help you create innovative food recipes for kids and your family but will also help you maintain the right balance of nutrients in your daily diet.