Foods to keep your skin healthy & glowing
We often see and admire flawless faces on screen and in magazines, forgetting the amount of make-up and products they use to get there. These products make you look older with time and harm your skin in various ways.
If you are someone who spends hours getting various skin treatments and trying serums to keep your skin healthy and supple, I’m here to tell you that these may not be necessary.
How much does your diet affect your skin?
While most of us want our skin to glow, did you know that a small change in your daily diet can give you healthy skin and that desired glow? The foods we eat have an immediate impact on our minds and bodies.
When you pick foods for skin health, you must take note of a few vitamins, nutrients, and ingredients. You can never go wrong with any fruit and vegetable, but for flawless skin, search for foods that contain these:
● Vitamin C
● Vitamin A
● Vitamin E
● Vitamin D
● Omega-3 fatty acids
Although there are many foods to include in your diet for healthy skin, I have compiled a list of some common foods that can help you get that flawless skin.
Here are a few foods for healthy and glowing skin.
1. Beetroot – It is high in antioxidants, which aids in the replenishment of dead skin cells, fight against free radicals in the body, and exfoliate dead cells. It not only purifies the blood but also stimulates blood flow in the body, making the skin glow.
2. Turmeric – This Indian spice provides skin protection. Turmeric’s active antioxidant, curcumin, is one of the most effective anti-inflammatory and free-radical fighting option available. This spice can be used to lighten dark pigmentation blotches or scars caused by ageing, hormone imbalance, or sun exposure.
3. Spinach – Other than Popeye, your skin loves spinach too. Spinach is a good source of both vitamin A and vitamin C. Research shows that people who eat these leafy greens are less likely to develop squamous cell carcinoma of the skin.
4. Lemon – Lemon is high in vitamin C and phosphorus, making it an excellent food to include in your diet for a natural glow. Natural acids in lemon gently exfoliate dead skin cells and lighten age spots.
5. Flaxseeds – they help in the relief of inflammatory skin issues and improve the overall hydration of your skin cells. Flax seeds are high in omega-3 fatty acids which help to remove spots and wrinkles.
6. Coconut Water – It contains potassium and electrolytes that relax muscles and replenish and rehydrate your skin, making it softer and younger-looking.
7. Yoghurt – Its high content of lactic acid, B vitamins, and antioxidants are effective for skin problems. One nutritional bowl of yoghurt is good enough every day.
8. Tomatoes – the active ingredient is lycopene, the phytochemical that gives tomatoes their red colour. It improves collagen strength and combats the oxidising effect of UV rays by removing skin-ageing free radicals.
9. Kiwi – This delicious fruit is high in antioxidants, including vitamin C. Vitamin C is required in the body’s collagen production pathway.
10. Carrots – Contains just enough beta-carotene and vitamin A, an antioxidant that prevents cell overproduction in the skin’s outer layer. This results in fewer flaky dead cells that could otherwise combine with sebum to clog your pores.
If you are looking for natural ways to get that permanent glow, consult a nutritional expert.
Kanupriya Khanna is regarded as one of the best dietitians in Delhi because of her unwavering commitment to making a difference in people’s lives by instilling good eating habits and lifestyles.